Employee FAQs En الأرشيف - Solfeh | سُلفة

How can I get an advance?

You can get an advance through our website. All you have to do is specify the amount and suitable repayment period then apply. Advance request link

What are the conditions and document requirements for applying for an advance?

You have to be an employee for an employer partnering with Solfeh and you will only be asked to provide a copy of your ID card with your application. If your employer is not listed among the employers partnering with Solfeh, you can apply for an advance by clicking on “others” under the employer’s name option in the online application form and we will try to help you, if possible. If you wish to propose the idea of partnering with Solfeh at your workplace, you can show your employer how to easily and swiftly apply through our website. Employer Network

How can I follow-up on my advance using Solfeh’s website?

Clients can follow-up on their advance, upload documents and download contracts to be signed by signing in to Solfeh’s website. You can sign inusing your phone number to receive a verification code that can be used to sign in to your account. Sign In

What are the procedures for early repayment?

In case of early repayment by the client, the employer is notified to verify the amount. Once the amount is received from the client and the entire outstanding balance is repaid, a clearance certificate proving that the client has no outstanding obligations will be sent.